Tuesday 25 September 2012

Dasasänti


Daçaçänti
These Ten Sänti-mantras from all the four Vedas, are traditionally chanted before an Advaita Vedänta class.


Text in Roman with Free Translation

1. oà çanno mitraç-çaà varuëaù| çanno bhavatvaryamä|
çanna indro båhaspatiù| çanno viñëur-urukramaù|
namo brahmaëe| namaste väyo|
tvam eva pratyakñaà brahmäsi|
tvam eva pratyakñaà brahma vadiñyämi|
åtaà vadiñyämi| satyaà vadiñyämi|
tan-mäm avatu| tad vaktäraà avatu|
avatu mäm| avatu vaktäram|
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||1||
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I. 1

May Mitra, the Sun deity be auspicious to us.
May Varuëa, the Ocean deity be auspicious to us.
May Aryamä, the Lord of the manes be auspicious to us.
May Indra, the King of the gods be auspicious to us.
May Båhaspati, the preceptor of the gods be auspicious to us.
May Viñëu, the all-pervasive sustainer of the creation be auspicious to us.
May Urukrama, Lord Vämana be auspicious to us.

Salutations to Brahman (Hiraëyagarbha/Saguëa Brahman).
Salutations to Väyu, the Wind deity.
You (Väyu)! are indeed the perceptible Brahman.
I understand (declare) you to be the perceptible Brahman.
I declare you to be the right understanding.
I understand you to be the truthfulness in speech.

May that Truth protect me.
May that Truth protect my teacher.
May that Truth protect me. May that Truth protect my Teacher. 
Om Peace Peace Peace. (1)
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I. 1

*****

2. om sa ha nävavatu|
sa ha nau bhunaktu|
saha véryaà karavävahai|
tejasvinävadhétamastu|
mä vidviñävahai|
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||2||
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - II. 1


May He (the Lord) protect both of us (the teacher and me).
May He indeed nourish both of us.
May we together acquire the capacity (to study and understand the scriptures).
May what is studied, be brilliant.
May there not be disagreement between both of us (the teacher and the disciple).
Om Peace Peace Peace. (2)
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad -  II. 1

*****

3. yaçchandasäà åñabho viçvarüpaù|
chandobhyo’dhyamåtät saàbabhüva|
sa mendro medhayä spåëotu|
amåtasya devadhäraëo bhüyäsam|
çaréraà me vicarñaëam|
jihvä me madhumattamä|
karëäbhyäà bhüri viçruvam|
brahmaëaù koço’si medhayä pihitaù|
çrutaà me gopäya|
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||3||
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I.4

That Oàkära, which manifested from the eternal Vedas, is the greatest among the Vedic mantras, and is endowed with all forms. May that Lord (Om) strengthen me with intelligence. O Lord!  May I become upholder of that eternal knowledge. May my physical body remain fit for the pursuit of knowledge. May my tongue speak pleasing words. May my ears listen to the scriptures more and more. You are the abode of Brahman, veiled by the knowledge of objects. May you protect my knowledge.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (3)
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I.4

*****

4. ahaà våkñasya rerivä|
kértiù påñöhaà girer-iva|
ürdhvapavitro väjinéva svamåtam-asmi|
draviëagà savarcasam|
sumedha amåtokñitaù|
iti triçaìkor-vedänuvacanam||
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||4||
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I. 10

After gaining Self-knowledge, the Seer Triçaìku declared, 'I am the sustainer of the tree of samsära. My fame is like the peak of a mountain. I am pure. I am in the form of pure awareness' that is the same as that which exists in the Sun. I am in the form of shining knowledge that is like wealth. I am endowed with the most auspicious knowledge. I am free from death and decay.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (4)
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Taittiréya Upaniñad - I. 10

*****

5. om pürëam-adah pürëam-idam pürëät pürëam-udacyate|
pürëasya pürëam-ädäya pürëamevävaçiñyate’||
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||5||
- Çukla-Yajurveda, Éçäväsya I.1, Båhadäraëyaka V.1

That (Brahman) is whole. This (jagat) is whole.
From that (Brahman) whole, this (jagat) whole has come.
This (jagat) whole (in spite of) having come from that (Brahman) whole,
Whole (Brahman) alone remains.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (5)
- Çukla-Yajurveda, Éçäväsya I.1, Båhadäraëyaka V.1

*****

6. om äpyäyantu mamäìgäni väk-präëaç-cakñuç-çrotram-
atho-balam-indriyäëi ca sarväëi|
sarvaà brahmaupaniñadam| mähaà brahma niräkuryäm|
mä mä brahma niräkarod|
aniräkaraëam-astvaniräkaraà me-'stu|
tad-ätmani nirate ya upaniñatsu dharmäs-
te mayi santu te mayi santu|
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||6||

-Sämaveda, Kenopaniñad I.1, Chändogya Upaniñad- I.1

May my limbs including speech, präëa, eyes, ears and other sense-organs, and my strength grow in their power. Everything is Brahman that is unfolded in the Upaniñads. May I not reject Brahman (for want of çraddhä). May not Brahman, the Lord, reject me. May there be non-rejection (acceptance) of the Lord by me; may there be non-rejection (acceptance) of the Lord for me. May all those qualities that are mentioned as qualifications in the Upaniñads be in me, who is committed to the pursuit of knowledge of Brahman. May those qualities be in me.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (6)
- Sämaveda, Kenopaniñad I.1, Chändogya Upaniñad- I.1

*****

7. väìg me manasi pratiñöhitä|
mano me väci pratiñöhitam|
ävirävirma edhi|
vedasya ma äëésthaù|
çrutaà me ma prahäséù|
anenädhétena|
ahoräträn sandadhämi|
åtaà vadiñyämi| satyaà vadiñyämi|
tan-mäm avatu| tad vaktäram avatu|
avatu mäm| avatu vaktäram| avatu vaktäram||
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||7||
- Ågveda, Aitareya Upniñad

May my speech be in harmony with my mind. May my mind be in harmony with my speech. O Self-effulgent Brahman! May You reveal yourself to me. May my mind and speech enable me to comprehend the truth revealed in the Vedas. May not my studies abandon me. May I contemplate day and night what is studied by me. I understand that as the Truth. I declare that as the Truth. May that (Truth) protect me. May that (Truth) protect the teacher. May that (Truth) protect me. May that (Truth) protect the teacher. May that (Truth) protect the teacher.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (7)
- Ågveda, Aitareya Upniñad
                                                                                          
*****

8. bhadraà no apivätaya manaù||’
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||8||
- Ågveda-X.20.1

O Mind! May you bring about auspiciousness for us.
Om Peace Peace Peace. (8)
- Ågveda-X.20.1

*****

9. oà bhadraà karëebhiç-çåuëuyäma deväù|
bhadraà paçyemäkñabhiryajaträù|
sthirair-aìgaistuñöuvägà sastanübhiù|
vyaçema devahitaà yad-äyuù||
svasti na indro vådhhaçraväù| svasti naù puñä viçvavedäù|
svasti nastärkñyo ariñöanemiù| svasti no-båhaspatir-dadhätu||
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||9|
- Atharvaveda, Praçna, Muëòaka, Mäëòükya Upaniñad

O Gods! May we listen with our ears, to what is meaningful.
May we see with our eyes, things that are blemish-free.
May we enjoy our complete lives,
glorifying You with the Vedic mantras, with strong limbs.

May the famous Indra bless us with auspiciousness.
May the omniscient Sun deity bless us with auspiciousness.
May Garuòa, of unobstructed flight bless us with auspiciousness.
Om Peace, Peace, Peace. (9)
- Atharvaveda, Praçna, Muëòaka, Mäëòükya Upaniñad

*****

10. oà yo brahmäëaà vidadhäti pürvaà, yo vai vedäàç-ca prahiëoti tasmai|
taà ha devam ätmabuddhi prakäçaà mumukñur-vai çaraëam aham prapadye||
oà çäntiççäntiççäntiù||10||
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Çvetäçvatara.Upaniñad.-VI.18

I, a seeker of freedom, seek refuge in that Lord, who reveals self-knowledge, who created Präjapati Brahma (Hiraëyagarbha) in the beginning of the creation, and who indeed taught him the Vedas.
Om Peace, Peace, Peace. (10)
- Kåñëa-Yajurveda, Çvetäçvatara.Upaniñad.-VI.18

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Srimad BhagavadGita Chapter - 10

Previous Chapter                                                                                                                           ...